Monday, June 13, 2011

iGarden


Well, sort of. I read about gardening to plan and design. I browse garden centers and nurseries to pick out plants, flowers, trees, and shrubs. I ask my mom or my sister for gardening advice. Then . . .

iDelegate. iSupervise, and iBoss my family around just a little bit to get the job done.

In the end, the pay-off is big. Bright, beautiful flowers, lovely trees and shrubs, and yummy fresh vegetables.

On Sunday, we had some time, and some sunny weather with just the right temps to finish up most of our planting for the summer.

Here are three things I enjoy about our yard and garden:

1. The $5 pear tree - A few years back at the end of the season, we snagged a pear tree on sale at a local big box home store. We planted it in our backyard centered in our picture window. It has beautiful white blossoms in the spring, and it graciously blocks the view of things we don't like to look at such as the broken screen door and the very tall grass of our backyard neighbors. BTW, T took the pic of the pear tree at night - isn't it cool?

2. Passed-down perennials: In our garden, we are lucky to have lilies from my mom, columbine from my sister, irises from my cousin, peonies from my mother-in-law, and hostas from our neighbor next-door. When these plants return year after year, they are little reminders of each special person who shared a bit of their garden with ours.

3. Tomatoes, peppers, and carrots - oh my! There's nothing quite like fresh produce. This year, we expanded our vegetable garden with the help of my sister. We planted lettuce, squash, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, red cabbage, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, basil, and cilantro. If we can keep the bunnies from snacking, we'll have a bountiful harvest to enjoy and share with family and friends.

Pretty views, precious perennials, and tasty, homegrown veggies - three good things in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments on topic and keep them good.