I ate one of my favorite childhood lunches today - spaghettios with bread and butter! I know, weird . . . what's one of your favorite lunches from your childhood?Lo and behold, several FB friends contributed some fun responses to my question, which is a good thing because I'm pretty sure most people don't give a hoot about what I'm eating for lunch day to day. Then, my friend Rick suggested I write about this very topic for my blog, so here goes nothing!
Interestingly enough, I discovered that as kids, and most likely as adults too, my friends and I enjoy eating food from these three groups:
2. Dairy . . . Cheese, butter, milk
3. Grains . . . Bread, pasta, macaroni
1. Processed protein . . . Hot dogs, bologna (and yes, I sing the Oscar Mayer jingle in my head to spell bologna, don't you?), ham, and other deli meats
OK, I know what you're thinking. Hmmm . . . many of those foods are not so good for you. I agree, but they're tasty and nostalgic. Take this comment from a guy named Brian A., perhaps you know him?
Peanut butter and pickle (dill slices), a banana, and chocolate milkNow I'm not sure if he meant a peanut butter and pickle sandwich, but I do agree that chocolate milk and pickles make a surprisingly delicious combo. Especially if you made the chocolate milk with PDQ like we did as kids.
What did everyone else have to say? I will tell you right now. Yes, way!
- Ham and butter sandwich - Carrie D.
- Macaroni and cheese with sliced hot dogs or tomato soup with chunks of cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches - Sarah H.
- SpaghettiOs and cut up hot dogs, tomato soup and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich - Rick M.
- Minced ham on fresh white bread with American cheese - Juli T.
- Tomato soup with popped popcorn in it! And toasted cheese... open face cheese on bread in oven - Ronda M.
- Hot dogs and beans....and a chicken noodle concoction you could get in a glass jar....it was yummy - Leanne S.
- Hamburger helper cheeseburger macaroni with lettuce, raw onions and tomatoes diced up on top! - Maria G.
- Bologna and cheese sandwich, Guys plain chips, and a grape soda packed in my Snoopy lunch box and eaten outside on a blanket - Connie M.
Pam B. shared her thoughts about SpaghettiOs with bread and butter:
My mom used to make me that for lunch all the time!Well, of course she did!
Thanks to all my friends who unknowingly contributed to this post. Let's do lunch soon, darlings!