Thursday, August 25, 2011

Back 2 School

Today is the first day of school for my kids out here in the far western 'burbs of Chicago - Yippee!

OK, I confess, as a child I was one of those geeky kids who enjoyed going back to school in the fall.

Many, many years later as an elementary school teacher, I also looked forward to the new school year. I liked the shiny clean floor that had been waxed and buffed during the summer. I delighted in putting up creative, eye-catching bulletin boards, and setting up a just-right seating arrangement in my classroom that soon would be filled with fresh, bright-eyed faces.

Now as a parent, I anticipate the start of a new school year with eagerness and enthusiasm, and it's not just because the kids are starting to drive me crazy or I miss my daily peace and quiet.

It's because a new school year means a new start for us all: students, teachers, and parents alike.

With that in mind, here are three good things about going back to school:



1. New supplies such as #2 pencils, blank spiral notebooks, markers, crayons, folders, glue, scissors, and pink erasers. "They look pig pink" exclaimed A as he stuffed his backpack with supplies yesterday.



2. New clothes and shoes including gym shoes for PE, and gym shoes and other styles for fashion and fun. Let's not forget that just-has-to-be perfect first day of school outfit, which is very important to a fifth grade girl, but not so much for her fourth grade brother.

3. Friends When I asked the kids what they liked most about going back to school, their numero uno choice was getting to see friends that they haven't seen all summer. Of course, the new school year offers the opportunity to make new friends, too!



Your homework assignment: Share your back to school good things with us in the comments section, and if you're not sure how to do that, follow Brian's directions in the link to the right. Perhaps he'll give you a Gold Star for your efforts!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Customize your own free slideshow

2 comments:

  1. I'm old and can't remember specifics...but I do know that I enjoyed back to school in the fall way more than I enjoy going back to work every Monday. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always happy to go back to school too... but my first day pictures never looked like your kids! You have such great kids!

    The smell of freshly sharpened new pencils.
    Figuring out who was sitting near me.
    Waiting for the right moment for the first back-to-school practical joke.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments on topic and keep them good.