Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Auntie

"We do not remember days; we remember moments." ~ Cesare Pavese

My Aunt Eleanor passed away last week at the age of 85. She was a wife, mother, sister, grandma, great grandma, great aunt, cousin, neighbor, and friend, but simply "Auntie" to me and my sisters.

It's sad when someone dear passes away, but memories of that special person can be a source of comfort for those left behind. With that in mind, I share with you three good memories of Auntie, who is on the left in the photo with my mom in 1995.



2. Haircuts: When we were kids, my mom took me and my sisters over to our auntie's house for haircuts. She had a small salon set up in her basement complete with a shampoo bowl. She would give us really, really short cuts, which I guess at that time were quite the fashion!?! Now when we look at photos of us with those hairdos, we crack up with laughter (and shake our heads!) But back in the day, it was always fun to visit Auntie's basement salon.

3. The Christmas Tree: One Christmas, many years ago, Auntie did not want to put up her Christmas tree. I can't remember why she did not want to deck the halls that year, but me and my sisters would not stand for it. We went to her house, pulled out the decorations, and helped her trim the tree. We were happy to help, and I believe she was happy we did!

1. Ceramics: At one point in time, Auntie took ceramic classes. She made many things including a covered mashed potato dish shaped like a potato for my mom. She also made small Christmas gift boxes for me and my sisters. Every year during the holidays, I put out my small ceramic box with a bright red bow on top. It's a special gift that I will always treasure.



My Uncle Lee, me, and Auntie Eleanor on my high school graduation day in 1985.

Rest in Peace, dear Auntie. We will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments on topic and keep them good.