Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Heartfelt memories of a former life

Once upon a time, oh so long ago, before two kids and one chronic illness, I was a teacher. I enjoyed being a teacher, and I think I was pretty darn good at it, if I do say so myself.

I miss it sometimes.

I missed it while working out at pulmonary rehab the other day. They had been hanging up decorations for Valentine’s Day like cute chains and mobiles made of construction paper hearts. “That reminds me of my teaching days," I told Lisa, who had been stringing hearts across the windows.

Sigh . . .

There are boxes of my teaching stuff piled up in our basement – bulletin board materials, lesson plans, books, holiday decorations, but most of all . . .

Memories

Memories of my life before a chronic illness that has no cure. A life filled with hopes, dreams, ambition, and construction paper hearts.

Sigh . . .

As I look back and reminisce about that former life, I am thankful for the good things about my teaching days.

2. Aha moments – The best part about teaching! That look on a child’s face when they finally get it! Like a light bulb, all bright and shiny, and eager to learn more.

3. Collaboration with colleagues – I had wonderful opportunities to work with very smart, creative, and inspiring people every day. They truly cared about the students, and we worked hard together to help them succeed.

1. School hot lunch – HA, just kidding!

My classroom – Room 306.
It never had quite the right temperature, the tiles were coming up from the floor, and I never really found the perfect layout to optimize teaching and learning. But it was a place filled with creativity and possibility – clever bulletin boards filled with student work, lots and lots of books, chalk dust, glitter and glue, and most importantly, eager minds and smiling faces.

And of course, paper chains strung across the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments on topic and keep them good.