That's of course if you believe all the hullabaloo about the Mayan calendar. Believers trust that if Mayan predictions come true, the world will end on Dec. 21. Just 4 days before Christmas! In reality, the only thing that is going to end is this cycle of the Mayan long-count calender. It will simply roll over to a new calendar cycle. Here's what NASA has to say about it:
Just as the calendar you have on your kitchen wall does not cease to exist after December 31, the Mayan calendar does not cease to exist on December 21, 2012. This date is the end of the Mayan long-count period but then -- just as your calendar begins again on January 1 -- another long-count period begins for the Mayan calendar.
Some recent TV shows featured end of world scenarios. Check out the Dec. 11 episode of Raising Hope for a hilarious take on the topic or Glee's wacky Mayan wedding. FB comments also are popping up about the world's impending doom, like this status from my dear friend Ronda:
"Kudos to my very thoughtful hubby for presenting flowers early. If the Mayans are to be believed, the world ends on our 12th Anniversary!"Happy Anniversary Ronda, but I do believe Sam will still need to take you out for dinner on your special day!
For the sake of this post, and because it's fun, let's say the world will end on Dec. 21. What 3 Good Things would you do before The End?' Here's what we at the Good Things blog would do:
2. Go out on the town with my hubby T: A fancy smancy date! I'm talking black tie, a formal dress with shiny high heels, a limo and driver, a gourmet dinner with champagne, the theatre perhaps - the whole shebang! Money would be no object!
3. A whole day of messy with the kids: That's right! Call the kids in sick from school, and take them on an adventure. Hike in the mud, jump in puddles, eat goopy, drippy, sticky foods in front of the TV, let them leave their stuff cluttered about the house, the cap off the toothpaste, and crumbs on the floor. Finger paint without putting newspaper down. Let them dye their hair bright colors, or roll down a grassy hill in good clothes. Just be silly and have fun! Don't clean up!
1. Tell all the special people in my life how much they mean to me: OK, that's something I (and y'all) should do regardless of what happens on 12/21! Say it in person, by phone, email, text, or note. Or by blog:
Dear Family and Friends, I love you! You mean the world to me! XXOO, SueOf course a post about the end of the world would not be complete without a little R.E.M.
I'd love to say that I've already done everything that I ever want to do before the end of the world. I know, however, that I haven't told everyone I know about Jesus. I don't have a bucket list or anything, but the things on my list would take more time than I have left before Friday. So, with that in mind, here are some little to-do items. Ok... mostly food.
2) Giordano's One more Giordano's pizza please!
3) Steak I would want to eat one of those really awesome and monstrous steaks from Morton's or Ruth Chris' or some other way-high-end steak place. NOM!
1) She knows who she is. And it's none of your beeswax.
Since the Mayan calendar doesn't account for leap years, the world actually ended a few months ago.
If the world would end on Friday, the Jets/Titans game was the last NFL game anyone will ever see.
Now that's a shame.