Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Living Near Philadelphia

I moved to the Philadelphia area about four and one-half years ago. After growing up in the mid-west near Chicago, and spending 20 years in western Michigan, I didn't think I would ever get used to certain things. I have and I haven't. Let me talk about some good things.

 2) It's green



I took this picture from the top of a hill in Valley Forge Park last week. I miss seeing the horizon, so I like to drive up to this highest point in the area and look out at it. As you can see, it's very green. We get plenty of rain without being annoying and the rainforest effect of the great Northwest.

3) The temperature

As you see in the graph at left, the average temperatures for the area are reasonably moderate. Yes, it gets cold, but I haven't had to break out my winter coat since I moved here. Yes, it gets hot, but I don't find myself saying, "Geez, we must be a mile from the Sun!" very often.

It's nice to have an ice scraper from Michigan that I may never wear out. I don't leave it in my car for  10 months out of the year, and I can drive with the windows open when it gets hot.

It does snow a little bit, and once every few years dumps a big pile on everything and then melts after a few days. I promise that I will always make fun of the way things seem to close-up around here for 1/4" of snow or worse - the threat of inclement weather.

1) A few special people
There are a number of people here that I have come to know and love. There is a special girl and I have a best buddy - and a handful of people I trust.
That's the good-thing that makes a place feel like home.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments on topic and keep them good.